When your child comes home from school, scratching her head, chances are she has a lice infestation. What do you do? You may be tempted to try once lice removal device after another, but you should do your research first and learn the pros and cons.
1. LiceGuard RobiComb Electric Head Lice Comb
The LiceGuard RobiComb Electric Head Lice Comb is a patented electronic device for detecting and killing head lice. It destroys lice it gets into contact with when used through dry hair.
When this electronic device touches lice, electric pulse zaps them, causing them to die. The device then combs dead lice out of your hair.
- Easily detects and kills lice
- DFA registered and clinically proven
- Safe for children.
- Does not contain chemicals
- Easy to use and reusable
- Only works when you have tons of lice in your hair.
- Only detects lice eggs that can be zapped.
- Only zaps average-sized lice eggs.
- Some lice eggs still need to be manually removed.
- Prone to contamination when used by many family members.
- Can be challenging to clean.
- Can only be used with completely dry hair.
The device makes a buzzing sound as it is turned ON. When the sound stops while you are combing your hair, it means it has trapped lice in its teeth.
2. V-Comb – Electric Head Lice Comb
The V-Comb Electric Head Lice Comb is a stainless steel round comb that traps head lice and eggs through suction power. Dead head lice are caught in its Capture Filter.
This head lice removal device is easy to use. It operates similar to a vacuum. When you are done, open the lid, remove dead lice, and dispose of them.
- Does not contain any chemicals or pesticides.
- Removes lice and eggs better than head lice shampoo
- Gentle and smooth to the scalp.
- Can be used on wet hair
- Easy to use vacuum type device.
- You need to slowly and repeatedly comb your hair with the device.
- You will need to manually pick out remaining nits after combing.
- Does not remove eggs.
- The suction is not strong enough.
The V-Comb – Electric Head Lice Comb is an FDA registered lice removal device that is 100% safe for children. It is hygienic too as all dead lice get stored in the Capture Filter.
3. Nix Electronic Lice Comb
The Nix Electronic Lice Comb removes and kills nits and lice from your scalp. It has a small electrical charge that is lethal to lice killing them as they get into contact with the comb’s teeth.
This device comes with an ON, OFF and On with spotlight switches. The spotlight turns on as you operate the device. As you comb your hair, the Louse Detection Alert Light will turn on to indicate lice have been killed and trapped.
- Easily detects as it comes in contact with the device.
- The comb does not have fine teeth
- Battery compartment is difficult to open
- Can detect lice and nits, but they are not killed on contact.
After using the Nix Electronic Lice Comb, remove lice from the teeth of the comb. It comes with a brush to help you clean the teeth.
4. Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb
The Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb uses spiral micro-grooved teeth to get rid of the tiniest nits from your hair. It is made of durable stainless steel and can be sterilized for safe re-use by any member of the family.
To use, comb your hair and lice will die as it gets into contact with the device.
- Made from durable stainless steel
- The teeth come with rounded ends and spiral grooves to easily dislodge nits.
- Can be sterilized for safe re-used by the entire family
- Will not rust
- If you are not careful, the grooves can tend to rip out your hair.
- Hard to use with thick hair.
- Requires skill to use effectively and efficiently.
The Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb comes with teeth that are close together, making it practical for those with fine or thin hair.
The Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb is the best lice removal device reviewed. It is made of stainless steel; thus, it is incredibly durable. It can be sterilized, so the entire family can share in this device. It is also useful for all hair types.
While there are medications and shampoos to kill and remove lice, lice combing is safer and more effective. You must be meticulous in choosing the lice removal device to use with your children. While most of them are useful, many provide superficial lice treatment.
It is not enough to use medication, shampoos, and lice removal devices to control the spread of lice. There are certain things you need to do so your efforts will not go to waste.
Wash and dry bed linens and clothing at over 130 degrees to kill stray nits and lice.
Optional: Clean, or bag up for 24-48 hours, everything that comes into contact with the head of the child with lice.
Next: Lice Removal Time and Costs
Scientific American: Revenge of the Super Lice
Youtube.com: LiceTec V-Comb
Pest Strategies.com: Top 5 Best Lice Combs
Epilady.com Lice Zapper
Amazon.com: Lice Treatment Products